Student Teaching: Week 12

 What I Did This Week

Monday: graded homework and tests, attended a math department meeting

Tuesday: taught IM2, taught IM1 1.5 times, graded homework and tests, thought about how to re-plan some of IM1 to differentiate more and help the online folks

Wednesday: attended a planning meeting for IM2, attended a math department meeting, graded homework and tests

Thursday: taught IM2, taught IM1 once, graded homework and tests

Friday: graded the rest of the IM1 tests, answered questions during the asynchronous day, held an office hour meeting


What I Will Do Next Week: A Reflection

Teach IM1 - taught period 6 twice, some of 4 once for an observation

Teach IM2 - taught both classes as usual

Plan something - wrote IM2 test, helped a bit with trying to convert IM1 into a more hybrid-friendly situation


What I Will Do Next Next Week

I will teach the same classes that I usually do and lend a hand when asked. I will try to keep myself from taking on too much because I do not have to and I need to remember that.


How I’m Feeling & What’s On My Mind

I don't feel great. This week was a lot and I have no life balance right now because there is no life to balance. Between teaching things and school things and doing all of it in the same room that I spend the rest of my time, there is no separation and it feels like I'm always supposed to be working. It seems like everyone is telling me "on my time off" but there is no time off because it all blends together and there's a pandemic so I still don't have anything "fun" to do. Not outside of my room at least. Not that I'm comfortable with. There aren't too many tasks in the sense of what I should be able to handle I just can't do it right now, I'm tired of being asked to work at a normal operating level. I'm so ready for it to all be over.

In trying to look on the brightside, I feel like I should mention the pig that showed up at school in case future me reads this. The pig was nice. His name is Hayward.




What I’m Learning About Teaching and Learning

Trying to teach rotations virtually stinks. Desmos can be helpful, but it can also be painfully slow. What are you supposed to do to keep up with both in-person and virtual with only one teacher? Giving all students direct feedback throughout class was really nice. What do you do with a student who shows up and will have a conversation with you, but then refuses to engage on the platform? I should probably turn this section into just the questions section instead.

I think I'm excited to actually meet and have colleagues. The pig introduced me to so many new teachers, at least seeing them even if I didn't actually talk to them. So much of the school has been a mystery due to the circumstances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student Teaching: Week 1

Weekly Question: How do students’ mathematical identities matter in our classrooms?

Student Teaching: Week 13